South Dakota Child Custody & Visitation Lawyer
Experienced Family Law Attorneys Brookings, SD
One of the most difficult issues to resolve during a divorce is child custody and/or visitation. This holds true even when the parents of a child are not married and need to reach a custody arrangement. Both parents have strong opinions over how the custody of their children should be divided, and will not back down until they get what they want. Determining visitation may be equally as difficult, as it can be hard to work around the parents work schedules and the child or children's particular needs.
If you are seeking child custody or visitation rights, you need to retain the services of an experienced attorney who can assert your rights and make sure your needs and concerns are not overlooked or ignored. A skilled and well-practiced South Dakota child custody attorney at Helsper, McCarty and Rasmussen Law Firm can represent you throughout the legal process and reinforce your parental rights.
How are Child Custody and Visitation Determined?
When parents agree on a child custody arrangement, the courts will typically uphold this decision, as long as it is in the best interest of the child. However, if parents cannot mutually agree on an arrangement, the courts will intervene and come up with an arrangement based on the child's best interest. There are certain factors which the Judge will consider when determining child custody and/or visitation. Some of these factors include:
- Each of the parents physical and mental health
- Each of the parents ability to provide for the child, i.e. food, shelter, clothing, medical care
- Each of the parents ability to provide a stable environment
- Each of the parents lifestyle
- Each of the parents income and financial stability
- If the parents encourage the child to have a relationship with the other parent
- If either parent has a history of alcoholism, drug abuse, or domestic violence
- The child's lifestyle and routine
- The child's bond and/or relationship with each parent
- If siblings would be separated
- The child's preference (if above a certain age)
Contact a South Dakota Child Custody Attorney Today
Whether your objective is to obtain physical custody, legal custody, joint custody, sole custody, or simply visitation rights, an experienced South Dakota child custody attorney at Helsper, McCarty and Rasmussen Law Firm can provide you with the dedicated representation needed to help you achieve your goals.
Contact a South Dakota lawyer at Helsper, McCarty and Rasmussen Law Firm.
- Contested Divorce
- Uncontested Divorce
- Complex High Net Worth Divorce
- Legal Separation
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Alimony / Spousal Support
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Father’s Rights
- Grandparent’s Rights
- Parental Alienation
- Adoption & Name Changes
- Orders of Protection for Domestic Violence